Many florists are getting into the football spirit and producing window displays featuring World Cup themes.
Vandella Flowers in Carlisle is one such high street florist.
They have produced three large window displays at their store in Carlisle, Cumbria.
With an England theme limiting the designers to white and red, the colours of St. George, the challenge of producing a display was no doubt quite hard.
Sadly they may have had to resort to some non British cut flowers to pull the task off.
Limited colour pallet
With Scotland, Ireland and Wales not in the World Cup the British florist is somewhat stuck with two colours to work with.
Carnations are the staple of the flower designer providing a multitude of colours.
Here are a few ideas for seasonal flowers to populate your display
England colour scheme – red and white
- Carnations – red and white
- Roses – red and white
- Poppies – red and white
- Daisy family including agyranthemum
- Ranunculus – red and white
- Lilly – including Lily of the Valley, Asian Lily,
- Red fruits including the strawberry would work for a short duration table display.
- Cow parsley in abundance from British hedgerows is an ideal white bulk flower to fill out any display.
- Japanese Iris and Iris Germanica can be garden grown and provides structure and architecture.
- Pieris – new leaf growth on this shrub is often in shades of red.
Share your designs
Have you produced a World Cup themed display for your window or maybe produced an exhibit for a local horticultural show?
You may have gone really wild and produced displays for all 32 teams.
Let us know about it, via the contact us form, so we can feature a gallery of your designs and plant lists over the next few weeks.